Frosted Cakery at Tower District
I visited Frosted Cakery last weekend. It was at historic Tower District, it is a quaint little shop with ample parking on the side of the building. As you enter, you are greeted with cupcakes at the front counter and the back is the open kitchen where all the cake decorating work is done! I met the owner, whose father owned the former Jimmy’s Bakery in Clovis. It is a family run business, nice people!
The cupcakes came in a brown box with a clear top. Finally, someone is willing to spend the monies on packaging that makes the cupcakes shine! However, the customers will be paying the price of the nice packaging. They had canolies, French macarons (not the coconut macaroons where spelling mistake always occurs) and cake pops.
For my initial visit, I purchased 3 dozens of mixed variety and 6 of the gluten free/vegan. It came to $111.
Here is my likes/dislikes about this place:
1. Love the buttercream frosting, very fluffy airy, just right in terms of sweetness. Hands down winner for excellent buttercream frosting!
2. The cupcakes has different cupcake liners-but not very good quality liners like what Sugar Shack uses, sturdy brown and uniform across all types of cupcakes. I had a hard time holding my chocolate cupcake with fudge frosting (I think that is the flavor).
3. My first bite into the chocolate fudge frosting cupcake was not to my liking, the frosting has a waxy after taste and the cake itself is bland and gummy in texture, it was not my favorite.
4. Then I tried the popular salted caramel, the cake is fresh, soft like a sponge cake and love the frosting with caramel drizzle, it is to die for!
5. I do not see any visible pricing displayed like how other cupcakes places in town do. Letting your customer know the prices is a good thing!
6. They have gluten free and vegan which I love!
7. They not only sell cupcakes, they make cakes for all occasions!
I will try to go back as often as I can because of the other flavors I have not tried and also for the buttercream! I am a buttercream girl!